August 20, 2010

Back to School Sewing

I had this idea in my head that I would send both kids off to their first days of school this year in something that I had made, just for them. For Evie, this is easy. There are so many to-be-made dresses in my head that the mind boggles. Briton, however, is a different story altogether. I've always found it harder to sew things for boys, especially my jeans and a polo kind of boy. And the older he gets, the less he wants mom made things. When we looked through sweater patterns this summer so he could pick out something to knit for him for this winter, he wasn't super interested, "Slippers" he said. And maybe a hoodie, maybe.

A few months ago we were all watching "Annie" and his eye was caught by the hats the little boys wore in the street scenes. Ever since he's been asking for one. I looked around but couldn't find anything in his size but his Grandmother came through with one she found just in time for his birthday. And the kid loves it. The last three nights when I've gone up to tuck him in he's in nothing but boxers and his hat.

Which got me thinking, could you make a newsboy hat? I mean, you could, of course. But could I make a newsboys hat? I did some puttering around on the Internet and ran across this tutorial which looked perfect. And I just happened to have that Harris Tweed Jacket that I never did get around to making a skirt with. Perfect.




I ended up needing to add another wedge to make it fit, and if I do it again I'll probably make the bottom of the wedge wider so it's a little loose, I like how the one he got for his birthday has an elasticised back. But this one is pretty darn cute. In fact, it might just be the most bad-ass thing I've ever made. It was kind of amazing to me to put it together and have it turn out just the way I imagined. But sewing is like that. Even though I've been doing it for years, it never fails to amaze me when something comes together just right. And you think, huh, I made that!