August 19, 2010

Felix vs. Oscar

Back when we started this whole working-at-home thing, I remember thinking that our desks would be like the Odd Couple had moved in. I'm Felix, if you hadn't guessed, and Will would be the Oscar. And I fully expected that to be the case. I like tidy. I like organized, at least to a point. And I have a hard time working when the house is cluttered. So it stands to reason that I'd want to keep my desk clean. I always have before.

But this morning I sat down at my desk and started working only to look around and notice, "Holy crap! It's me! I'm the Oscar!!"
But then I looked over and, no, Will is still the Oscar, or he's also the Oscar. Because, well, yeah. At least my mess is colorful :)
I wont even show you what's on the drafting table behind me. It looks like a trace paper storm collided with a cardboard box tornado and then a tweed coat flew into the mix. Although to be fair, most of the cardboard is from a bunch of packages that we rescued off of our neighbors stoop yesterday during the storm.

But I have to admit that this is often how my desk looks when I shut down for the day. Half finished swing projects waiting to be pinned. My next articles craft in pieces waiting for photographs, notebook and calender open, coffee and breakfast (or lunch, depending) next to the computer.

Part of it is that I'm not really happy with our storage set up. We have plenty of shelves in here, but only one is very tall, and it's taken up with larger items. My writing space is also my crafting space and it's not really quite big enough to accommodate both at the same time.

Surprisingly though, at least to me, I'm not really bothered by it. Sometimes I look around and feel a little claustrophobic with all this stuff pressing in around me. Most of the time, however, I'm OK with the mess. Not that I wouldn't love for it to be magically pristine, but for now, I'm good. I still have a hard time working when the sink is full of dirty dishes. But hey, one step at a time, right?