October 14, 2011

snippits of the week

Squeeeee! I finally got a yarn swift and yarn ball winder which means no more trying to balance a skein around my knees while I balance on my tailbone and wind as fast as I can (it's attractive, I'm telling you. I could win a medal for it) Not that I've gotten to wind any yarn yet since my kids are obsessed with doing it for me. FYI I got this yarn swift and this winder. Love them both (and so does my tailbone!)
Will's mom and I spent Tuesday morning at the Nate Berkus Show. I didn't really know what to expect since I've never actually seen the show (sorry Nate) but it was really fun, mostly because Paula Dean was the guest and that woman was hilarious. I've always though her shows were pretty funny, but in person and unedited, so much funnier.

"You can really make any kind of biscuit you like Nate!"
"What kind do you like Paula?
"Well, I like me a cat head biscuit. Like the size of a cat head!"

Somehow I don't think that will make it to air. Also probably not the moment when Nate introduced her new book as the Bible of cooking and Paula went all white and serious and said "But I don't want to take anything away from Jesus!" And then everyone just stood there for a minute trying to figure out where to go from there.
We got to take home all sorts of goodies from the show, my very first sway bag, which was awesome too. I bet you could rack up some pretty good stuff just hitting all the talk shows that are filmed in town. That would be bad though, right?
I took the kids over to the cathedral for a medieval art class (Will is trying to convince Briton that he should always say the word 'medieval' as if he were an announcer for Medieval Times, Briton is unconvinced) We got a chance to try some stone carving, made clay gargoyles, did a few brass rubbings and some paper stained glass windows.
And Evelyn discovered gold crayons at the illumination table. It was hard not to get her to take the whole basket home with her.
Looking through my photos of the kids over the past few weeks, I've realized that my son wears two t-shirts 90% of the time. This one
and this one.
Die hard Duck my kid. I overheard him tell his grandmother (who is from Texas) that he would root for Texas unless they played Oregon "Then, I'd probably have to root for Oregon. Sorry."

Quack quack.