November 23, 2009

Christmas Wreath #1


Yes, Number one. Although it may turn out to be number only given how long I spent on it and the fact that I'm not out of the Christmas ornament and foam balls that I though would stretch to two wreaths at least. I would like to have one for each of the windows at the front of the house, one for the window on the end and one for the door. But we shall see. I do have a few ideas about some quicker styles. I know I know, I'm a little nuts.


I haven't re-made Christmas decorations for ages. In fact, I cant really remember when I made a whole slew of things for Christmas other than the year we were without ornaments and had to make enough for a whole (although very small) tree. Our tree will be it's usual hodge podge of hallmark ornaments, and I wouldnt have that any other way, but doors and mantles and table and shelves are all waiting to be decked. I've been living ina fairy world thinking that Christmas is still far away, but then Will reminded me that our tree hunting trip would be THIS FRIDAY> ACK! Thanksgiving isn't even here and I'm BEHIND ALREADY!

So today I dug in. I've got fabric cut for some mantel things that will get sewn over the next few evenings, a list started of what I still need (candles, ribbon,some kind of treeskirt, wrapping paper that matches, - yes a little OCD I know, but it's so pretty that way!) and now, one wreath down.

I know the ornament wreath is all the rage this year. It seems to be everywhere and don't get me wrong, I like it, I just wasn't ready for string that many shiny breakable balls together to hang on my oft-slammed ( I have kids after all) door. Padding is required. Which is how I arrived at the felt, ribbon and or yarn covered foam balls mixed with the classic ornaments.

It didn't turn out to be the fastest project I've done lately, but it wasn't terrible. And it wasn't the assembly that took so long, it takes a long time to wrap enough yarn around a foam ball so no white shows through. And then there was the ornament that I broke and the one(s) I dribbled glue all over (see the ribbon wrapped around the ornament, yeah, good thing for extra ribbon).

Between the wreath now safely hanging above my desk in the mudroom (if you can call it that at this point-but that's a whole other issue), the pile of wood sitting next to the fireplace and the big box of gifts that just arrived in the mail I'm having a hard time concentrating on the fact that I still need to get Thanksgiving dinner in order. I don't suppose Will would be ok with just skipping over the rest of this week and starting Christmas a little early.