April 14, 2011

2 minute wrap: a tutorial

I saw this on pinterest and decided to give it a try and it's so freaking easy that I had to share as well. The original directions, here, called for one square yard of fabric and if you are a petite little thing like the girl on the blog,well, I'm sure a square yard would do it (although a square yard is kind of vague. Is it 45 inches square? 56?) so I altered it a bit to fit a normal sized person. When I say two minutes, I'm exaggerating of course. It's really more of a 30 second thing, but I had a few, um complications, which I'll explain below. They weren't to do with the actual making of the wrap though, so you should be just find.

So, here we go.

First, dig through your stash and look for a yard of 60 inch wide jersey (or, you know, buy some - this will of course add on some time, but you were looking for an excuse to go to the fabric store anyway, weren't you?)

Now get out your fabric scissors. Discover that your fabric scissors aren't in the scissor bin where you left them. Curse a little. Hunt around the house mumbling about how everyone in this house knows to NEVER touch mommies fabric scissors, find them in the kitchen utensil bowl. Curse some more. Discover that someone has cut something other than fabric with them because they are dull, dull, dull. Break out the sharpener and sharpen them and vow to hide them away next time so no one can find them. Whew. I told you, complications.

Fold the fabric in half so that the selvage edges meet and lay it out on a flat surface. Measure six inches down and six inches in from the folded edge at one end and mark the spot with a pin. Now measure six inches in and 16 inches down from that same edge and mark with another pin.

Cut, carefully, through both layers, in a straight line between the pins making two 10 inch long holes parallel to the folded edge.

Open it up, slip your arms through the holes and check yourself out in the mirror. (Well, realize that someone little hands and someone else's wet snout have been hard at work dirtying up the only long mirror in the house, go dig out the vinegar and a rag, clean off the mirror and then give yourself a look)

Crazy, right? The original tutorial also talks about using it as a scarf which, you know, is cool, but scarves I have, wraps I don't, so it was really the wrap part that interested me. But who knows, I might wear it as a scarf one of these days too. Either way, I think I need a few more.