Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Evie's Doll, a Tutorial

** I've redesigned Eliza entirely for my new pattern company! Please come meet Eleanor!**
Her name is Eliza, unless, of course, Evie is in a name changing mood, in which case her name, and the names of all of her dolls, change by the minute. Most of the time though, she is Eliza. I'm not sure where she got that, maybe it's all the hours of listening to show tunes in which My Fair Lady plays a significant roll.
She goes most places that Evie goes these days. To school, to the library, to wherever- tucked under her arm or buckled into the seat next to her in the car, in their matching shiny red shoes, Evie's from one grandma and Eliza's from the other.

I've been meaning to post a tutorial for the doll I knitted for Evie for a while but my notes disappeared sometime over Chirstmas(ack!). Thankfully they turned up yesterday in Briton's backpack (why? Eight year old boys are such pack rats!) When I started this doll I had a pattern from Pick Up Sticks but that pretty quickly turned out not to be what I wanted. The head was too small proportionally for what I had in mind and even knitting it with bigger needles wasn't going to work. Instead I just started knitting and hoped for the best, changing things as I went until I ended up with a size I thought would work.

This doll needs to be lightly felted to work. The felting both fuzzes the increases and decreases on the head so they aren't noticeable and also allows you to stuff the head without ripping your knitting, the felting shrinks the knitting around the stuffing to create a tight, slightly weighted head and body, much like a Waldorf doll.


*Edited to add*
Yay! The Eliza pattern has been published in the Winter 2012 issue of Living Crafts Magazine. You can purchase a digital copy of the magazine here! Have fun knitting!

Make the hair:
Find a book about 5 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Wrap the hair colored yarn around until you have a solid layer about 5 inches across. Cut a strip of masking tape long enough to tape across all the yarn on the binding side of the book.
Cut along the opposite edge of the book from the tape to create a flat layer of yarn strips with tape down the center. You'll need to create two of these and a third smaller one if you want a side part.


With your sewing machine, stitch down the center of the tape on each piece of the "wig".
Remove the tape and, using the yarn needle, sew one of the larger "wig" pieces down the center of the head. Stitch small bunches of hair around the base of the neck, starting closer to the "ears and working down around the back.

Sew the second layer of the "wig" over the first, without stitching down the back. Setting the smaller piece just off center to create a side part, sew this in place as well. Trim the hair to an even length.


Most 18 inch doll clothes and doll clothes patterns will fit this doll so you can hunt around for clothes and patterns or just jump in and make some simple clothes on your own. Have fun!

29 comments:

  1. That is a really sweet doll. I love the red shoes. I used to make cloth dolls and worked very hard to come up with faces that looked realistic, but I haven't done much sewing the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, thankyou for sharing the pattern and tutorial. I've made cloth ones but never knitted so may have to give this a try soon. Saw your pattern on Ravelry, now off to peek at your blog too.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable doll!
    And I noticed you used Rose in Bloom for the book to wrap the hair around...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! And Welcome Dawn! Hope you stop by again! Please send me a photo if you make the doll!

    Amy! Hilarious that you noticed that. I actually had the thought when I picked a book that it had to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh....I notice stuff like that...in fact I thought "Did I send her that one?"
    I'm reading "Eden's Outcasts", probably the best book about L.M. Alcott and her father ever written...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice doll wool dress, This looks like model with modern style orange hair. Thanks for this information.... Nice Blog!!!

    18 Doll Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  7. what are the abreviations for the wool like what does SCY AND CY stand for thanks ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this! I can't wait to make one for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this for my daughter and posted a picture on ravelry... It's absolutely fabulous!!! Thank you so much for the great, easy to read and follow pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I amn so pleased to find a pattern for a proper dolly! Hopefully my grandaughter will think so too when I make it.Thanks and here goes

    ReplyDelete
  11. grazie per aver condiviso con noi questa bellissima bambola sei molto brava ,ti verrò a trovare più spesso,ciao

    ReplyDelete
  12. I now have a little granddaughter and my knitting projects have taken off in a whole new direction!!! Pink, pink and more pink! (I have 2 sons!). I love love love this doll! Omg she is so cute and I love her hair! I hope I can pull this pattern off! She's so adorable! Thank you for posting! I love her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you like it! Send photos when you are done! I'd love to see them! Sue - it's funny how they love pink, isn't it! Eliza now has pink hair as well after a little cutting "accident" :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am your newest follower !! love your doll! I made a few of the ragdolls that could be her sis!!
    http://livingwithporteous.blogspot.com/2012/01/rag-dolls.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome Ann! Your dolls are so cute! Aren't they fun?

    ReplyDelete
  16. are her clothes in cluded in the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there anyway to get this pattern for free? Or do I have to buy the magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful doll. I'm going to try it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. do you have to buy the magazine to get the pattern, or is it free anywhere? lovely doll by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the doll. Where is the free pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  21. is this pattern available to download?

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you go to http://www.livingcrafts.com/page/Digital you can purchase the magazine as a digital download. It's in the Winter 2012 issue. At this time I believe that is the only way they have it available but I will update the Ravelry page if I learn that they have another way available. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sad that the pattern is no longer available! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, but the link says it is no longer available. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll write to the editor and see if it's ok to put the pattern back up here. Now that they have gone to Blog only, they may be ok with that, or maybe they will put them on their blog for folks. Will update when I know!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Any news on where and when the pattern might become available again? Found this today and would LOVE to make one for my little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unfortunalty I'm not able to pass out the pattern. It is still available as back issues in the magazine so you can order the issue still through them. However, I'm working on writing a new pattern for a similar doll at the moment to be sold on Ravelry so that everyone who wants it can have it without the strings of the magazine attached. If you would like me to email you when I have it ready, you can send me a PM on ravelry. My Rav name is gillianwynne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for the quick reply! I appreciate the information :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by,I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...