February 17, 2012

snippits of the week

This morning as I walked Evelyn to school I realized that it felt decidedly spring-like outside. It was still cold, colder than yesterday in fact, and windy, and wet. But something felt, different. The sun look brighter instead of the weak gray light I've gotten used to, and the little garden across from the cathedral had little bits of green showing though all the brown brown brown. Or maybe it's just that, after almost three weeks of feeling like crud I gave in and went to the doctor for antibiotics and lo and behold, two days later, I'm better. Amazing what the right medicine can do.

Last night Evie and I were playing around with chalking our hair. I'm not sure we had the best chalk for the job, but it was pretty fun. Purple bangs led quickly to "can you paint my fingernails pink and purple?" and then, "can I play with daddy's guitar?" and then an interesting version of "On Top of Old Smoky." which featured Matzah instead of Meatballs.

We've had a quiet week. And indoor week. With early nights and Lego extravaganzas in the bedroom and scrabble tournaments in the living room, which was nice, but I think we're all ready to be out an about next week while Evie is off of school (New York schools have a mid winter break since spring break is laaaate in the spring and school doesn't get out till the end of June) and now that we are all well. Knock on wood. Oh please don't let any of us get sick again for a while.

Tonight we are so excited to see The Secret World of Arrietty. I loved The Borrowers when I was younger and I've been reading the second book to the kids lately so I can't wait to see how the movie turns out. As much as we love My Neighbor Totoro, I think this might become our new favorite Ghibli movie. Yay for weekends!