March 14, 2013

sugar snow

From mud and rain then back to snow again today. I just finished reading Evelyn the chapter of  Little House in the Big Woods (part of my yes we ARE reading at bedtime again campaign) about maple sugaring and wondered if we too, would get a cold snap and a sugar snow. This morning we woke up to two fresh inches of grainy, icy snow. And since it's gone from white out conditions to sunny and bright. Strange, strange weather.

We have, so far, about 3 1/2 gallons of sap ready to boil which, I think, isn't bad in what seems to be a slow sap kinda year. If all goes well that should be a whole 2/3 of a pint of syrup. So let's hope all goes well when we finally boil this weekend.

What's the weather like in your neck of the woods? I must admit that I'm about ready for springtime. How about you?