October 4, 2010

One Thing


One of the reasons I began One Thing is that I was starting to feel that the fun little things I want to do were getting lost in the grind of life and work and renovation and parenthood, and I needed a reminder to do those things. Because if you don't do things for yourself, how can you be happy doing things for others, right? Sometimes I find myself in need of a recharge. For me, personally, the easiest way to get my head back on straight is to go off for a long walk somewhere where I can't see houses or power lines or roads or cars. Something about being swallowed up by trees and long damp grass and crunching underfoot revives me. Will and I have tried to make it a habit to go for these long walks on Saturday mornings and I can't tell you how much we all enjoy them, and how much nicer they make our weekends. But as our car has been in the shop for, basically, four weeks (where it is once again despite the fact that it was supposed to be all fixed as of Friday, grrrrr.....) we haven't gotten to go one one of our little escapes for a while. I know this sounds sappy, but I can feel the lack of these walks in my bones. Like I'm missing some vital nutrient.

Luckily next weekend we are spending two days at a cabin with some of our dearest friends with nothing on the agenda other than card games, good food and beautiful walks. I can't wait, but until then, and fully expecting that our car will remain in the shop for at least another few days, I've decided that I'm going to have to find another way to refill my soul a little. How, you ask. I'm thinking puzzles, tea and some good old fashioned kid time.

Briton is a big fan of puzzles, and not just the basic, 100 piece puzzles. He like them complicated. Actually, he just likes puzzles in general. He even does puzzles online when he has computer time. It's that little engineering brain. Evie is a little young to actually figure out the bigger puzzles, but she enjoys watching and occasionally helping put pieces together. And over the past few weeks, all of the things that have come down on our head have meant that we haven't had a lot of time to spend with the kids just being mom and dad. They've done brilliantly through the whole thing. Thankfully they play well together (most of the time) and can keep themselves entertained, but it's time for some snuggle on the couch with a big mug of tea and do a puzzle time. I have to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

So there it is, my One Thing for this week. What's yours? What are you planning to do this week to put the bounce back in your step?

One Thing
A new Monday habit. Share the one thing that you want to do this week, just for you. Click to enter below and link back to your blog so we can see all the fun things you do!
So, what will you be up to this week?