March 17, 2011

new.york.city.

Well my friends, I have some big news. I'm not gonna lie, this has been quite a week at the Grimm house, lots of exciting things going on. And no, I'm going to stop you right there before you even think it, we are not going to have another baby, even if Evie wishes we would, sorry :). But a lot has been happening here abouts. I mean, we finished (almost) the bathroom, the magazine article came out, I found the perfect spinning wheel (in my dreams) and, drum roll please, we found out we are moving to New York.
Holy cow.

Last fall Will decided to apply for Grad school and just for kicks, he went all out and applied for some "if I could just pick any of them" types of places. And then we kind of forgot all about it. Life is good here, we love our friends, we love our house, we love our town, who wants to change things? And then a letter arrived at the end of last week to inform us that he'd been accepted into Columbia University. How do you say no to Columbia University?

So, to New York we will go. In June. In JUNE people! Not even in June, BY June. Holy Cow. I can't stop saying that.
At the moment we have very little settled. We know that we will be there about a year, maybe a little more. We have a vague idea of the neighborhood we want to live in, but that could change. We has some unusual ideas about what we will do about school for the kids, but again, that could change, and I'm sure I'll be writing more about that as we go. Will may go up first so that Briton can finish the school year, but, you guessed it, that could change too. The only thing we've really settled on so far is that we will try to sell the house.

I know, I know, we've put a lot into this house. We LOVE this house. But for a number of reasons we've decided that selling it would be the best thing for our family. Right now all I can think about is getting paint touched up (today) and siding on the mudroom (next week) and so I haven't had time to dwell on the fact that I'm leaving my happy little kitchen. I haven't even fully registered that I'm going to have to leave all my friends and my wonderful neighborhood. That will come, I'm sure, when the dust has settled on the decision.

The kids know and they are both excited, Evie because there is a possibility of bunk beds and because she will get to ride the subway, Briton because of the 20 playgrounds in Central Park and because of the close proximity of Rhode Island. Or as he puts it "New York will be fun, but this is a once in a life time opportunity to go see Rhode Island. "

Really, I have no idea what that's about. What's in Rhode Island that an eight year old would be so excited about? Whatever it is, I'm going to ride it all the way up to our (theoretical) new apartment.

So, New Yorkers, former New Yorkers, city people in general. Send advice this way. Four people and two pets in a teeny (possibly student housing teeny) apartment for a year.

Holy Cow.