November 16, 2012

stitching

This week, Evelyn has been working hard to learn to tie her shoes by herself. Her class is having a party for all the kids who learn the skill before the winter holidays so she has been a very determined girl. Last night we had a breakthrough on the shoe tying front (Yay! Party!) which left her feeling mighty confident. So when I sat down to work on my embroidery project, she was full of "I want to try's!"
I've used stitching cards and felt and that plastic grid stuff for little finger sewing and I have to say, burlap was a far superior material for her to work with. Being able to put the fabric in a hoop was very important (because we need to do things like mom!) but having holes ready to go so that there was no hard pushing and poked fingers made things nice and easy for her. She has all sorts of plans for making Christmas gifts for the family now that she's got the hang of it. I have a feeling that I'll need to replenish my embroidery floss supplies before long. I wonder if I could convince her to do a sampler. I've always had a soft spot for samplers. And for little girls who want to sew with their mamas.