September 30, 2010

Sock Progress


As it's almost October, my knit-a-gift-for-everyone-for-the-solstice project is beginning to run a bit short on time. Evelyn's sweater is coming along, although it's a little slow. I've got most of one side done and the back knit up to the yolk. It's not as fun to knit as my sweater or Will's socks so I'm afraid it may be the last thing done. Now that I've discovered cabling, well, plain old stockinette stitch is a little... boring.

Will's socks, er, I mean slippers, however, are coming along swimmingly. I messed up the direction of the twists at the very beginning and didn't realize till I was way down but decided it wasn't worth ribbing out several inches of perfectly good cabling to switch six stitches around. The gods dislike perfection anyway, right?

I ended up adjusting the pattern a little. My gauge was bigger so I used the women's directions instead of the men's to get the right size and I based my increases and decreases more off one of Will's socks than the patterns because he has crazy long skinny feet. The first is finished and the second is well on it's way. If the rain stops today, I may wander down to the yarn store and get some sock blockers so I can shape them before stitching the soles on (which I also need to find, it seems size 13 empty leather soles are not available at your corner knitting shop, go figure). And then on to Briton's slippers (yes, I've decided on slippers) He wants felted slippers and as I've been thoroughly enjoying mine (in fact, I'm wearing them right now!) I'm almost sure that that's what I'll make him. Although another cable knit slipper project would be more fun...

Anyone else got a knitting project in the works? This lovely cool and rainy - yes, I said lovely and rainy in the same sentence, I'm an Oregon girl remember - has me wanting to do nothing but curl up on the couch and knit. Alas, there are far too many things to do at the moment for that. But hopefully after the house tour is over and our wretched car, which has been in the shop for almost three weeks straight at this point, is fixed and Briton is caught up on all the famous Americans he needs to know for his test and the house is painted, life will settle down a little and quiet knitting days won't be such a pipe dream...